Sunday, November 18, 2012

Earth from Space

Because I'm performing a brute force atmospheric simulation, I'm able to render the atmosphere from any point of view. After a few tweaks, I'm now able to render images from outside the atmosphere. Here are a few images that show what the Earth looks like from space. The planet's surface is currently an 18% gray Lambertian diffuse reflector.

The planet as seen from 200 km up.

Same view as above, but with no atmosphere.

A different view. Also 200 km up. Sun right below the horizon.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Peter,

    I'm the lead of appleseed, an open source physically-based renderer targeted at production.

    I've been following both of your blogs for a while now. Excellent work.

    Franz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Franz,

      Thanks for your comment! I'm happy that you like my blogs.

      I've come across appleseed before. It looks very nice!

      Peter

      Delete